- 1 package spinach or cheese tortellini (we found at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 heaping Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 bag organic spinach
- 1 container pre-cubed chicken we buy at Trader Joe’s (or use 2-3 chicken breasts already cooked or rotisserie chicken)- can omit chicken or swap with tofu!
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt, black pepper, dried oregano, basil and red pepper flakes to taste
In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and saute diced onions until tender.
Add garlic, canned tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook down the tomatoes stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
Add broth and then bring to a boil. This will take about 8-10 minutes!
Once boiling it is time to stir in the spinach, add the pre-cubed/pre-cooked chicken, then add the tortellini.
Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the tortellini is tender.
Serve topped with parmesan or mozzarella cheese melted on top!
Let me know if you make this by tagging me @dietitiandeanna on Instagram! Leave any questions about the below.
We froze a big batch for baby’s arrival and love that it comes together so fast PLUS provides so much satisfaction and fullness in one meal with protein, fiber, hearty carbs and fat from the cheesey goodness. Try it out!